Mikini 1610L Tear down and repair (part 3)

//Mikini 1610L Tear down and repair (part 3)

Mikini 1610L Tear down and repair (part 3)

Tuesday May 12th 2020

So last time we left off after modifying the front of the cabinet to allow the saddle to slide out.  This was removed and remounted onto the bed (now upside down on the bench).  I wanted to run a test for parallelism before removing the trucks and rails so that i had base readings.

I figured that i should put an indicator mag base onto the side of the bed and clock against a precision square clamped to the machined surface on Y where one of the trucks was installed. I removed one of the Y trucks and clamped the square. Here the video of the indication:

With the reading noted, i documented the routing of the lubrication pipes from the manifold and labelled all the trucks and noted their installation locations.

All lubrication pipes were disconnected from the trucks before removing them from the saddle.

Wednesday May 20th 2020

So after a week or so of ordering new parts they finally arrived and i could get back out in the shop.

Let go through the new parts:

520mm hiwin linear rails x 2 for Y, 760mm hiwin linear rails x 2 for X, hiwin HG20 trucks x 8 (4 for X and 4 for Y). These came from Moore International (website www.moore-international.com) – They were able to cut the rails to the size i needed for the Mikini as they are non standard lengths.

Also some nylon and PTFE 4mm OD tubing along with new ferules to clamp the pipe (more on this later) – These came from eBay. The PTFE was recommended by my buddy Ralph he says “PTFE is generally more expensive than PVDF/Kynar (or FEP, or ETFE) but is impervious to coolant and oil.”

First thing was to clean the saddle.  I called on my buddy at Scania and went to use their hot wash……

 

With the washed saddle back home i started the assemble, first i installed the 2 front X trucks on saddle, these have set screws to push the truck up against the machined face.  The 2 back X trucks where then installed but left loose, the saddle will use the existing rails on the bed to align the loose back trucks.

The saddle was installed on the bed using the existing X rails and the loose truck was tightened making sure the saddle was running smooth (well as well as it could on the rusty rails)

The saddle X trucks are now set and the X rails can be replaced. After sliding the saddle back off the front X rail is removed first.

The bed was cleaned where the new rail was to be installed.   The new rail is installed, rail is clamped to the datum face and bolted down.

The bolts were torqued to 9Nm according to the table below from HIWIN.

The other rail can be replaced now and left slightly loose,  the saddle is then re installed and the back rail can be set using the trucks on the saddle

More to follow after tomorrows work…….

Thursday May 21th 2020

By | 2020-05-21T00:47:34+00:00 May 20th, 2020|Uncategorised|0 Comments

About the Author:

Leave A Comment